Antivirus for (mailservers on) FreeBSD

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 12 23:45:02 PDT 2003

Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> At 12/06/2003, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:
> > > Now I am looking for another antivirus product that work fine with
> > > sendmail-milter and FreeBSD.
> > > Is there anyone here that would share their experience with other similar
> > > products ?
> >
> >I really like Sophos.  McAffee also did a deal with Whistle/IBM
> >at one point, for doing this on the InterJet.  I don't know if
> >they ever completed the code, or what happened with that.
>
> I am not looking for a simple antivirus but a very quick and fast, if
> possible,  product specified for mailservers.
> Sophos should use amavis, which usually loose some msg (you have to
> re-queue from time to time) :-).

I wrote my own code for Sophos which used milter directly.  It's
not hard to write a milter filter.  IBM owns the code, or I'd
still have a copy, and I'd send it to you.  I'm sure it's rotting
on an optical disk somewhere, along with pmta (POP Mail Transfer
Agent), which not only kicks Fetchmail's butt, but at 22,000 lines
of code, includes an implementation of much of Java, JavaX, and
the JavaMail API's all in C++ instead of Java.  This was all done
for a mail services project that wasn't completed before IBM shut
IBM GSB down.  8-(.

> So far I don't have find any, perhaps kaspersky is the only one that
> develops such type of product natively for FreeBSD ?

No, as I said, we had binaries for FreeBSD for McAfee.

Like Oracle, McAfee has FreeBSD native versions of their code,
they just don't sell them commercially.

-- Terry