FreeBSD Version Release numbers

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 10 00:48:27 PDT 2003

Craig Reyenga wrote:
> Perhaps all odd major numbers should be considered development versions. 5.3
> would instead be called 6.0, to signify that it is ready for general use by
> everyone. HEAD would change to 7.0-CURRENT, and the process would repeat,
> with 7.0-RELEASE thru 7.N-RELEASE (with "N" being the last development
> version) until the tree is then ready for 8.0, which would be of course
> marked "stable."

The problem with this is you are very soon running version 99
(or 100, if you want it stable).

Historically, BSD has used odd minor numbers as new features,
and even minor numbers as stabilization.

This was broken with 4.4, but that was because of the lawsuit,
not through any poor intent on anyone's part.

Nothing can kill a product faster than version bloat; witness
NetWare and Oracle.

PS: I also agree with Rahul's point about early adoption being
key to shaking out the bugs.

-- Terry