What does "enterprise" mean? (was: What does "enterpise" mean?)

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 27 19:52:33 PDT 2003

On Monday, 21 July 2003 at 12:17:31 -0700, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> What does Unix for the enterprise mean to you?

Buzzwords.

The Shorter Oxford English dictionary describes enterprise as:

  1.  A design of which the execution is attempted; a piece of work
      taken in hand; now only, a bold, arduous or dangerous
      undertaking.

  2.  Disposition to engage in undertakings of difficult, risk or
      danger; daring spirit.

  3.  Management.

Take your choice :-)

> This morning, on the SCO media teleconference which I participated in[1],
> SCO's president (McBride) said "If all [misappropriated Unix source code]
> was removed, Linux would have no enterprise use."
>
> Their "enterprise" definitions mainly cover multi-processor. For example,
> they mentioned scaling to 32 processors.
>
> Does anyone use FreeBSD or NetBSD with many (over four)  processors?
>
> Anyone use NetBSD or FreeBSD with 32 processors?

More to the point, does *anybody* use SCO with more than 16
processors?  I have a strong suspicion that it doesn't scale nearly as
well as Linux.

Greg