[Bug 208246] [Hyper-V] FreeBSD 10.2 Disks not found on Hyper-V Windows Server 2008R2, preventing installation

bugzilla-noreply at freebsd.org bugzilla-noreply at freebsd.org
Wed Mar 23 15:03:33 UTC 2016


https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=208246

            Bug ID: 208246
           Summary: [Hyper-V] FreeBSD 10.2 Disks not found on Hyper-V
                    Windows Server 2008R2, preventing installation
           Product: Base System
           Version: 10.2-RELEASE
          Hardware: amd64
                OS: Any
            Status: New
          Severity: Affects Some People
          Priority: ---
         Component: kern
          Assignee: freebsd-bugs at FreeBSD.org
          Reporter: ske-89 at pkmab.se
                CC: freebsd-amd64 at FreeBSD.org
                CC: freebsd-amd64 at FreeBSD.org

To reproduce, I download any FreeBSD 10.2 RELEASE ISO and attach it as DVD to a
virtual machine in Hyper-V on Windows Server 2008R2 Standard SP1 64-bit. The
virtual machine has one virtual IDE hard disk attached, as usual.

(The quickest one to download is FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso, but
all I have tried lead to the same result. The uefi and non uefi ISOs also gave
the same symptoms for 10.2.)

After booting, all hard disk devices are empty, 0 MB, and can not be accessed.
If using an install ISO, the installation will fail during partitioning, since
there are no disks available that it will allow me to partition. There is no
way to proceed.

camcontrol devlist shows:

<Msft Virtual CD/ROM 1.0>       at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
<  >                            at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (da0,pass1)
<  >                            at scbus1 target 0 lun 1 (da2,pass3)
<  >                            at scbus1 target 1 lun 0 (da1,pass2)
<  >                            at scbus1 target 1 lun 1 (da3,pass4)

(This is with the Hyper-V default SCSI adapter removed from the machine
configuration. Letting it remain just adds 16 more empty da* devices to this
list. Even if I actually connect the disk to the SCSI adapter, all the da*
devices will still be empty.)

dmesg shows:

da0 at blkvsc0 bus 0 scbus1 target 0 lun 0
da0: <  > Fixed Direct Access SCSI device
da0: 300.000MB/s transfers
da0: 0MB (0 512 byte sectors 0H 0S/T 0C)

...and exactly the same for da1, da2, da3.
(The DVD is detected as cd0.)

Also when I download the pre-installed VHD image for Hyper-V, and try to boot
it, it shows that it detects the same empty devices as above, and then fails to
mount the root file system, leaving me at the mountroot prompt. The prompt also
refuses to manually mount any of the da* devices. Probably because there is
nothing to read from them, having length 0, I would assume. (This was actually
where I originally discovered this problem.) The console shows:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/gpt/rootfs [rw]...
mountroot: waiting for device /dev/gpt/rootfs ...
Mounting from ufs:/dev/gpt/rootfs failed with error 19.
...
mountroot> ?
List of GEOM managed disk devices:
  da3 da2 da1 da0 cd0 fd0
mountroot> ufs:da0
Trying to mount root from ufs:da0 []...
g_vfs_done():da0[READ(offset=65536, length=8192)]error = 6
Mounting from ufs:da0 failed with error 6.

I also tried downloading the FreeBSD 10.3 RC3 ISO, to see if this has already
been fixed there. The results were worse. The non uefi version didn't list any
da* devices at all, any more. The uefi version (2nd boot image) gave the same
results as 10.2 above. I don't know why UEFI suddenly would make a difference
to this.

I also tried downloading FreeBSD 10.1. (In this case, I used the pre-installed
VHD image.) That version DID succeed to fully boot the system from disk. So
this problem seems to have been introduced between 10.1 and 10.2. I did notice
that 10.1 seems to have detected the same IDE disk both as device ada0 and
device da0. (Maybe that is normal for 10.1? I don't know. 10.2 and 10.3 didn't
mention any ada device.) 10.1 also complained "GEOM: ada0: corrupt or invalid
GPT detected." But it mounted and booted the disk anyway, using the name
/dev/gpt/rootfs.

I noticed there is one recent similar bug report, 206630, with status FIXED. It
also applies to Hyper-V, failing to find the hard disk. However, the symptoms
described say the hard disk IS detected, but appears on a randomly selected da*
device. In my case, the disk is not detected on any device. That bug report
also only mentions Windows 10 & 2016, and does not mention trying it out on
2008R2.

There is also an older unresolved bug report 153990 for Hyper-V 2008R2, failing
to find the hard disk. But that was FreeBSD 8.1. The symptoms are not so
detailed, and I suppose some things have changed since then, so I don't know if
there might be any possible relation.

There is a forum discussion https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/52797/ where
"meciarz" and "hshh" seem to ask about the same problem as I am describing
here, with 10.2 and Hyper-V 2008R2. So I don't seem to be alone. There are some
replies referring to a change of device names in recent releases and other
suggestions, but to me they don't seem to apply to this exact problem, and
don't seem to have solved the problem. To me that discussion seems to end with
the problem still remaining for 10.2 using Hyper-V 2008R2, although the final
posts says that it works for Windows 2012.

-- 
You are receiving this mail because:
You are the assignee for the bug.


More information about the freebsd-bugs mailing list