misc/143455: gstripe in RELENG_8 (31st Jan 2010) broken

Patrick Mackinlay patrick at spacesurfer.com
Mon Feb 1 21:50:01 UTC 2010

>Number:         143455
>Category:       misc
>Synopsis:       gstripe in RELENG_8 (31st Jan 2010) broken
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Priority:       low
>Responsible:    freebsd-bugs
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   current-users
>Arrival-Date:   Mon Feb 01 21:50:00 UTC 2010
>Originator:     Patrick Mackinlay
>Release:        RELENG_8 (31st Jan 2010) amd64
FreeBSD patrick.uknet.spacesurfer.com 8.0-STABLE FreeBSD 8.0-STABLE #0: Mon Feb  1 00:58:56 UTC 2010     root at patrick.uknet.spacesurfer.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/PATRICK  amd64

My machine is setup so that I have a geli device running on a gstripe device made from 2 gmirror devices. My boot loader is set to load gmirror, gstripe and geli. On boot my rc.local calls a script to mount the encrypted partition. Please see below for details:

gmirror status
                Name    Status  Components
mirror/forstripe01s2  COMPLETE  ad0s2
mirror/forstripe23s2  COMPLETE  ad2s2

gstripe status
          Name  Status  Components
stripe/forgeli      UP  mirror/forstripe01s2

geli status
              Name  Status  Components
stripe/forgeli.eli     N/A  stripe/forgeli

cat /boot/loader.conf 

cat /root/setup/cryptstart.sh 
#gmirror load
#gstripe load
#geli load
#gmirror label forstripe01s2 ad0s2 ad1s2
#gmirror label forstripe23s2 ad2s2 ad3s2
gstripe create forgeli /dev/mirror/forstripe01s2 /dev/mirror/forstripe23s2
geli attach /dev/stripe/forgeli
fsck_ufs -C -y /dev/stripe/forgeli.eli
mount /dev/stripe/forgeli.eli /mnt/data

Recently (31st Jan 2010) I rebuilt my kernel and OS from the lastest RELENG_8 cvs tag code base. When I rebooted the geli attach command would fail (Could not read meta data). I eventually narrowed this down to a problem with gstripe by booting from a 8.0 release install. That install would still work even when I changed the kernel to the RELENG_8 kernel I had build previously, not that the newly built gmirror and geli commands also worked, using the newly build gstripe command was the problem.




More information about the freebsd-bugs mailing list