kern/57453: if_kue hangs warm boot if firmware is loaded - affects
4.9-RC - fix included
markfbsd at mark.alphadimensions.net
Wed Oct 1 06:30:22 PDT 2003
>Synopsis: if_kue hangs boot after warm boot if firmware is loaded
>Arrival-Date: Wed Oct 01 06:30:14 PDT 2003
>Originator: Mark Smith
>Release: FreeBSD 4.9-RC i386
System: FreeBSD server 4.9-RC FreeBSD 4.9-RC #9: Wed Oct 1 22:41:36 EST =
2003 root at server:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/XLSERV
When I warm boot my machine I get a hang if the if_kue firmware is loaded=
This is a hard lock up, and the system will not continue booting. Big =
Umm, that might be kind of difficult, unless you have access to my NIC.
This quote from if_kue.c explains why:
* First, check if we even need to load the firmware.
* If the device was still attached when the system was
* rebooted, it may already have firmware loaded in it.
* If this is the case, we don't need to do it again.
* And in fact, if we try to load it again, we'll hang, <<<<<<<<<<<
* so we have to avoid this condition if we don't want <<<<<<<<<<<<
* to look stupid.
* We can test this quickly by checking the bcdRevision
* code. The NIC will return a different revision code if
* it's probed while the firmware is still loaded and
if (hwrev =3D=3D 0x0202)
If I change this code to
if ((hwrev & 0xfff0) =3D=3D 0x0200)
It fixes the problem (my card reports 0x0208 when firmware is loaded, not=
This affect 4.9-RC, and as such this should be put in as an urget fix (I =
More information about the freebsd-bugs