no modules / services needed for BT mouse support (?)

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 18:24:15 UTC 2011

2011/3/14 martinko <gamato at users.sf.net>:
> Hallo,
>
> I had a Logitech bluetooth mouse connected via USB BT dongle.  In the past I
> used to load ng_ubt and bthidd and hcsecd to make the mouse work.  The same
> I did for a friend on old PC-BSD.  But it appears that since moving to the
> version 8.x we no longer need to load any of the above and the mouse works
> out-of-box.  Unfortunately it does not respond to wheel movement (pressing
> it does generate middle click).

are we talking about freebsd or pc-bsd here? i'm confused :)

there were no changes in this area in freebsd. you still need to load
ng_ubt(4) to recognize local bluetooth device (i.e. bluetooth dongle
connected to your computer). usually its done via loader.conf, i.e.
put something like

ng_ubt_load="YES"

into /boot/loader.conf.

devd(8) will start/stop bluetooth stack as soon as it detects
ng_ubt(4) device arrival/departure.

bthidd(8), hcsecd(8) etc. are bluetooth service daemons, and, those
needs to be started. usually one puts something like

hcsecd_enable="YES"
bthidd_enable="YES"

into /etc/rc.conf to start bluetooth services.

assuming all of the above is in place, and, mouse was paired
previously, then it will work "out-of-the-box"

> Now this all is a bit surprising for me.  And I'm not sure which part of the
> system is responsible for the behaviour -- kernel, USB stack, HAL, X11, .. ?

ng_ubt(4) driver for usb bluetooth devices
devd(8) responds to events and starts/stops bluetooth stack

>  Also, I'd like to know how to make wheel working again.

can you please provide hid descriptor?

thanks
max