Troubleshooting a USB Bluetooth Dongle

Rusty Nejdl rnejdl at ringofsaturn.com
Tue Nov 9 18:04:19 UTC 2010

Max,

First, thank you so much for the work you did. After syncing
everything up, I was able to get my bluetooth dongle to work. Oddly
enough, I have to stop and then start /etc/rc.d/bluetooth to get it to
work but that may be because I didn't completely clean out my first
attempt.

I was able to get my headset to pair :

[tethys]:/dev> sudo
hccontrol -n ubt0hci create_connection 01:23:45:67:89:84
BD_ADDR:
01:23:45:67:89:84
Connection handle: 21
Encryption mode: Disabled [0]

hcsecd[6558]: Got PIN_Code_Request event from 'ubt0hci', remote bdaddr
01:23:45:67:89:84
hcsecd[6558]: Found matching entry, remote bdaddr
01:23:45:67:89:84, name 'AS1', PIN code exists
hcsecd[6558]: Sending
PIN_Code_Reply to 'ubt0hci' for remote bdaddr
01:23:45:67:89:84
hcsecd[6558]: Got Link_Key_Notification event from
'ubt0hci', remote bdaddr 01:23:45:67:89:84
hcsecd[6558]: Updating link
key for the entry, remote bdaddr 01:23:45:67:89:84, name 'AS1', link key
doesn't exist

However, how do I get audio to actually output through
the headset is the question? My apologies if this is an obvious question
but I wasn't able to find much on this and in fact found threads going
back to 2005.

Sincerely,
Rusty Nejdl

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 18:37:53
-0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

> it looks like your kernel sources
have changed since the time you have
> built the kernel. please re-build
kernel and all the modules using the
> same source tree.
>
> thanks,

max

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 6:33 PM, Rusty Nejdl wrote:
>> Maksim,
Well, that didn't quite go right:
[tethys]:/home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k> sudo make -C ath3k-1/ load
/sbin/kldload -v /home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k/ath3k-1/ath3k-1.ko
kldload: can't load /home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k/ath3k-1/ath3k-1.ko:
Exec format error*** Error code 1 Stop in
/home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k/ath3k-1. Exit 1
[tethys]:/home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k> sudo make -C ubtath3kfw/ load
/sbin/kldload -v /home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k/ubtath3kfw/ubtath3kfw.ko
kldload: can't load
/home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k/ubtath3kfw/ubtath3kfw.ko: Exec format
error*** Error code 1 Stop in /home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k/ubtath3kfw.
Exit 1 [tethys]:/home/rnejdl/Downloads/ath3k> I am running: uname
-aFreeBSD tethys.ringofsaturn.com 8.1-STABLE FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE #0: Tue
Oct 19 14:09:00 CDT 2010 root at tethys.ringofsaturn.com
[1]:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SATURN amd64 I can update my kernel if needed
or move the above sources into the kernel directory as needed. This is
from dmesg: KLD ath3k-1.ko: depends on kernel - not available or
version mismatch linker_load_file: Unsupported file type KLD
ubtath3kfw.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: Unsupported file type KLD ath3k-1.ko: depends on
kernel - not available or version mismatch linker_load_file: Unsupported
file type KLD ubtath3kfw.ko: depends on kernel - not available or
version mismatch linker_load_file: Unsupported file type KLD ath3k-1.ko:
depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch linker_load_file:
Unsupported file type KLD ubtath3kfw.ko: depends on kernel - not
available or version mismatch linker_load_file: Unsupported file type
And, you can keep the hardware and hopefully make some good use out of
it. Thanks! Rusty On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 16:59:23 -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin
wrote: Rusty, i've got something for you to test. could you please
download fw driver package from
http://people.freebsd.org/~emax/ath3k.tar.gz [2] this package contains
two drivers: 1) ath3k-1 -- driver to hold ath3k-1.fw image (obtained
from fedora) 2) ubtath3kfw -- fw download driver you need to build both
drivers from source. after you untar the package, please execute % make
depend % make if everything goes well, you should have .ko files in both
directories. please kldload both modules, i.e. # make -C ath3k-1/ load #
make -C ubtath3kfw/ load then you need to load ng_ubt(4) module, i.e. #
kldload ng_ubt now you should be able to attach your dongle and after
few seconds ng_ubt(4) should pick it up, i.e. i have in my
/var/log/messages Nov 8 16:46:02 beetle kernel: ugen2.2: at usbus2 Nov 8
16:46:02 beetle kernel: ubtath3kfw0: on usbus2 Nov 8 16:46:03 beetle
kernel: ugen2.2: at usbus2 (disconnected) Nov 8 16:46:03 beetle kernel:
ubtath3kfw0: at uhub2, port 1, addr 2 (disconnected) Nov 8 16:46:06
beetle kernel: ugen2.2: at usbus2 Nov 8 16:46:06 beetle kernel: ubt0: on
usbus2 Nov 8 16:46:06 beetle root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x0cf3
product 0x3002 bus uhub2 after that you should be able to use it as
regular bluetooth dongle. thank you very much for providing the
hardware. please let me know if you need it back. thanks, max On Tue,
Nov 2, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Rusty Nejdl wrote: On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 14:29:06
-0700, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote: On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Rusty