Trouble connecting HP Compaq 6720s with Nokia 3610 cell phone

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 08:05:58 PST 2009

Oleg,

please keep freebsd-bluetooth@ cc'd.

>>> I have a trouble connecting my Nokia 3610 cell phone via bluetooth link.
>>
>> as Iain already asked :) what exactly are you trying to do?
>
>  Was trying to establish connection in both directions but failed.
> Many thanks to Iain for this issue explanation - it seems my Nokia
> searching for audio enhancements only. Was thinking it is part of
> another trouble - I'm unable to start a session through obexapp (file
> transfer for example).
>
> How is it looks like:
>
> # sdpcontrol -a Nokia search FTRN
>
> Record Handle: 0x00010002
> Service Class ID List:
>        OBEX File Transfer (0x1106)
> Protocol Descriptor List:
>        L2CAP (0x0100)
>        RFCOMM (0x0003)
>                Protocol specific parameter #1: u/int8/bool 10
>        OBEX (0x0008)
> Bluetooth Profile Descriptor List:
>        OBEX File Transfer (0x1106) ver. 1.0

ok this looks promising.

> # obexapp -c -a Nokia -C FTRN -f
>
> Just sits there ( well yes I know Bluetooth is slow enough so was
> waiting for  two hours first time )

well, this is not good :)

> And what I can see in the log:

first of all, please set those "hci_debug_level" and
"l2cap_debug_level" knobs in you ubt0.conf back to their default
values (or just remove them completely from your ubt0.conf). those
should really be used in a controlled environment when debugging
confirmed problem in the stack. the trace you sent is very low level
and does not give me much context.

hcidump(1) from the ports collection is the primary tool for
troubleshooting problems like yours. when running hcidump(1) please
make sure to write dump to a file, i.e. use -w switch.

no need to set/change "connectable", "discoverable" and/or
"role_switch" knobs because they set to "yes" by default.

it is a good idea to always start hcsecd(8), i.e add
"hcsecd_enable="yes'" to your /etc/rc.conf and make sure you have
entries for all your bluetooth devices that require
paring/authentication/encryption.

so, if you could please

1) remove "hci_debug_level" and "l2cap_debug_level" knobs from your
ubt0.conf and restart bluetooth device (/etc/rc.d/bluetooth restart
ubt0)

2) start hcsecd(8), i.e. add hcsecd_enable="yes" to your /etc/rc.conf
and then /etc/rc.d/hcsecd restart (i assume you already added pin code
for your phone)

3) run (as root) hcidump -w nokia3610.bin

4) in another window run obexapp(1) client

5) wait for it to hang/stop/etc and then wait another minute or so.

6) terminate obexapp(1) client with ^C

7) terminate hcidump(1) with ^C

8) send me nokia3610.bin

> So something is wrong I think and my question "Where is I'm wrong"

i can not answer this question yet :)

> still remains open. Or it is just a good example how is Bluetooth link
> unreliable ?

its not *that* unreliable :)

thanks,
max