libhci

Iain Hibbert plunky at rya-online.net
Fri Feb 6 03:32:44 PST 2009

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

> anyway, what would you suggest to use instead of dev_id? device name
> (i.e. ubt0)? anything else? cant use bd_addr because (in freebsd at
> least) device has to be "initialized" before bd_addr is known.

for sure, a generic API would need to use the device name. Internally it
can translate to whatever the local hardware control API uses.

> i will take a look at ms api. but surely we have ability to send and
> receive hci commands/events and enumerate all radios in the system in
> addition to inquiry, dont you think?

enumerating the radios is useful, yes, but having a function to set the
afh_map or some other setting?  I think that this is only required by the
administrator program (hccontrol in your case) so why does it need to be
in a shared library?

In a way, its similar for the string functions. What program needs to be
able to print the features list?  Only a shell based admin tool in
reality, even a graphical program might want to provide such a feature
list in a different format anyway..

iain