pan profile support in freebsd

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 09:55:44 PST 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 6:28 AM, Iain Hibbert <plunky at rya-online.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>
>> the system. for example, i run sdpd, hcsecd etc. on my laptop always.
>> when i need, i simply plug my usb bluetooth dongle it - presto - it
>> all works. magic! :) if you bind to a particular radio, then you tied
>> to it. cant do anything before radio is present and cant do anything
>> after radio is gone.
>
> You are [presumably] using devd to [notice that you inserted the dongle
> and] configure it anyway, there is no reason it can't start any other
> services you might require..

yes, devd is used to start stack when device is attached. yes, devd
also can be used to start all the service daemons, but why makes
things complicated? dealing with possible multiple failures (i.e. one
service daemon refused to start) is a pain. also a pain when you need
to use multiple radios (i.e. make sure service is not stopped if
another radio is present, etc.). its just easier, imo, to have service
daemons to listen on wildcard addresses and be done with it.

thanks,
max