pan profile support in freebsd

Iain Hibbert plunky at rya-online.net
Wed Feb 4 12:27:03 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Alexander Motin wrote:

> Iain Hibbert wrote:
> > One thing that I have in mind is to make btpand shutdown the tap interface
> > when exiting (as it marks it up when starting). Would that make it
> > possible to use devd to trigger a reconnect if desired?  I think its
> > better to have a "event->action" model rather than hang it all together
> > with scripts.
>
> It already removes UP status from interface, so there is action which could be
> tracked by devd.

Ah, I see. That is a difference in FreeBSD tap(4) device and I wondered
about that but will put it on my list to see if its desireable for NetBSD,
rather than modifying btpand to do the same.

> No need to destroy interface if it was not created by you.

no, thats all automatic

> But from other side devd is more complicated and system-wide case that some
> trivial custom shell script, so I would prefer to use it just for something
> common, like running dhclient with adding something like ifconfig_tap1="DHCP"
> to rc.conf alike to normal Ethernets.

There may be trouble there because network is started before bluetooth,
but adding a 'stay in foreground' switch should not be difficult.

iain