pan profile support in freebsd

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:22:16 PST 2009

Alexander,

[...]

> Thanks for the good news and your work. I have managed to use by Qtek S200
> running WM 6.1 Internet Sharing service (NAP profile). It has worked just
> out of the box.

thanks for the report!

> The only newbie problem I had is what to specify in -d argument. NetBSD
> examples specifying adapter name there, while FreeBSD does not accepts this.
> I have spent some time looking for my adapter BDADDR.

well, it kinda does. you can edit /etc/bluetooth/hosts file and add
your adapter's bd_addr there, i.e.

00:11:22:33:44:55 mydevice

and then use -d mydevice with btpand(8).

> PS: I have one small indirectly related, annoying problem. After some time
> of being unused Qtek goes to some kind of sleep, which makes it not
> responding on BT requests (both rfcomm and btpand), reporting "No route to
> host". After several retries or just by running l2ping and waiting for 3-5
> seconds it successfully wakes up and working, but it makes using it a bit
> annoying. Is there any known workaround for it?

it depends. i'm guessing qtek device is probably putting idle
connection into 'sniff' or 'hold' (or even 'park') mode to conserve
battery life. you should be able to see what is going by running
hcidump. in any case, it should be possible to add something that
'tickles' connection once in a short while to prevent it from going
completely idle. it will drain the battery faster though.

thanks,
max