bt dev questions

Alex Samorukov ml at os2.kiev.ua
Sat Nov 1 13:30:00 PDT 2008

Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:

>>  1) Why sdpd require root permission to open session? As for me it`s enough
>> to check use file permissions on control socket. In Linux its possible to
>> register service w/o root permissions, so in ported version I need to run it
>> as root and then setuid to normal user.  What is the reason for this?
>>

> to have better control over what services are offered. basically, i do
> not want to have any random application go and register bunch of
> non-existent services. requiring 'root' permission is may be a little
> bit excessive, but its easy to fix. could teach sdpd to accept
> connections from specified group (or even list of groups/users).

Yes, i think that its enough to have group, with sdpd r/w permission.
Because I don`t like setgid/setuid, and this will allow to avoid this in
bt services.
>>  2) I was not able to find how to change provider name and server
>> description in SDP_SERVICE_CLASS_SERIAL_PORT profile. anyRemote using usual
>> serial over bluetooth, but with changed service name field. I found howto
>> change channel (server_channel) but not description. Is it possible at all?
>>

> not at this time.

ok, np )
>>  I`m planning to submit my patches to the ports tree at nearest time.
>>

> thanks for your work.

Thank you too. Author answered that he will include my patches to the
next version, so soon anyRemote will work in freebsd out of the box.