Fun with Logitech bluetooth keyboard (diNovo Edge)...

Wed May 7 23:07:55 UTC 2008

Quoting "Maksim Yevmenkin" <maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com> (Wed, 7 May 2008 13:05:02 -0700):

> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Alexander Leidinger
> <Alexander at leidinger.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >  I bought a keyboard with an integrated touchpad from logitech. Just
> >  plugging in the BT-dongle gives an usb hub with ums and ukbd.
> >  Unfortunately the ums doesn't work for me yet (problem in a separate
> >  mail to usb@).
> >
> >  I googled a litte bit around and found a posting here
> >  (http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-bluetooth/2006-December/000824.html)
> >  which contains a program which puts the device into hci mode (by
> >  accessing /dev/uhidX), so that I can use the HID devices with the
> >  FreeBSD bluetooth stack directly. I haven't tried this yet (I would
> >  have to remove ukbd and ums from the kernel...).
> >
> >  Is there the possibility to get this hid2hci feature in our userland
> >  (or into the kernel controllable via a sysctl)? I would would be good
> >  to have this functionality at boot (in the kernel it would would allow
> >  to have ukbd available while still being able to put the device into
> >  hci mode).
>
> well, someone already ported hid2hci.
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bluetooth/2007-July/000989.html
>
> is a good starting point. i do not think that using sysctl is good

It doesn't make sense to have something like this in the base system?

> solution for this. last time i looked this stuff was implemented on
> csr chips using so-called "boot mode" feature. basically, the device
> has a split personality - in one mode it pretends to be an usb hub
> with keyboard and mouse attached (hid) to it and in another -
> bluetooth dongle (hci). to switch between the modes one must set a
> so-called ps key and perform warm reset.
>
> the problems are
>
> 1) this is highly device specific
>
> 2) there is no  good way to know if device can be switched between hid
> and hci. it is basically left to user to know that.

There's no way to know this based upon some vendor/product IDs?

> 3) usually hid mode is made default, so device has to be switched into
> hci mode every time it is attached.
>
> the hid mode is really for user's advantage. its makes it possible to
> use wireless keyboards in bios screens etc. os does not need to know

Yes, I understand that, the problem is: the ums part does not work for
me (8-current from March).

> anything about bluetooth. all that is required from the os is usb
> support. while i do not object to hid2hci utility, personally, i would
> get a separate bluetooth dongle for another $20 or less.

I have a separate dongle, but having a second one (the logitech one)
would not be bad. We just need a way to say "I want this to be a hci
device when I plug it in automatically".

Bye,
Alexander.

--
 Fry: I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed
 into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth.