DUN over bluethoot

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 22:08:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 1:45 PM, eng. Anatoli Marinov <tolisoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've applied the patch and I think now I am one step forward but still
>  does not have whole connectivity.
>
>  The dump now is:

[....]

this dump is not very useful to me. it does not show anything
interesting except the fact that RFCOMM connection was established and
there were a few data packets going in both directions. you need to
send me a binary dump or at least have hcidump print content of the
each RFCOMM data packet (-x and -a switches).

did you adjust your ppp.conf default section to include chat script?
basically, in DUN profile the client will send few AT commands on
which PPP should respond with OK. finally the client will send
ATDTxxxx, i.e. will try to dial a number to which PPP should respond
CONNECT. after this PPP client will start talking PPP.

in any case, since there was an RFCOMM connection, you should increase
debug level in ppp.conf and check /var/log/ppp.log to see what client
has actually tried to send. i suspect that you did not adjust your
chat script properly and the client simply gives up because it thinks
there is no modem on the other end.

>  Maybe I have to try without DUN I found something called PAN it is
>  located here http://maemo.org/community/wiki/HOWTO-BluetoothNetworking/
>  and will try it tomorrow

PAN is not supported in FreeBSD at the moment. if you can't get DUN to
work, you need to use LAN profile. like i said before, LAN profile
assumes null-modem type connection, i.e. both client and server start
talking PPP as soon as RFCOMM connection is established.

>  Will inform you with my progress. Please if you find something wrong
>  in the dump please tell me.

BTW, http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howto-bluetoothnetworking-dun-ppp/
talks about /etc/ppp/peers/at-command.pl script which does exactly
what i've trying to explain to you. it basically responds OK to any
string that starts with AT, and CONNECT to any string that starts with
ATD. you need to do similar thing with chat script inside ppp.conf.

thanks,
max

p.s. please keep "freebsd-bluetooth at freebsd.org" in cc list