Apple mouse/keyboard power message

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko alex.kovalenko at verizon.net
Sat Jun 30 19:57:00 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-06-30 at 08:37 +0100, Iain Hibbert wrote:
> Hi
>   Does anybody use an Apple Bluetooth mouse/keyboard?  Although I am using
> NetBSD and HID works kind of differently, I see a strangeness in the
> reporting of battery power messages that I don't understand.. for
> instance, my Mighty Mouse descriptor parses out as the following:
>
> Collection page=Generic_Desktop usage=Mouse
>   Input id=2 size=1 count=1 page=Button usage=Button_1 Variable, logical range 0..1
>   Input id=2 size=1 count=1 page=Button usage=Button_2 Variable, logical range 0..1
>   Input id=2 size=1 count=1 page=Button usage=Button_3 Variable, logical range 0..1
>   Input id=2 size=1 count=1 page=Button usage=Button_4 Variable, logical range 0..1
>   Input id=2 size=4 count=1 page=0x0000 usage=0x0000 Const Variable, logical range 0..1
> Collection page=Generic_Desktop usage=Pointer
>   Input id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Generic_Desktop usage=X Variable Relative, logical range -127..127
>   Input id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Generic_Desktop usage=Y Variable Relative, logical range -127..127
>   Input id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Consumer usage=AC_Pan Variable Relative, logical range -127..127
>   Input id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Generic_Desktop usage=Wheel Variable Relative, logical range -127..127
> End collection
>   Input id=2 size=8 count=1 page=Vendor_Defined usage=0x00c0 Variable, logical range -127..127
> Feature id=71 size=8 count=1 page=Device_Controls usage=Battery_Strength Variable NoPref Volatile, logical range 0..100
> End collection
>
> which seems ok, but I never seem to get feature reports with id#71.
> Instead I get a report id#48 containing a single byte (value 0x01) when
> the battery is about to die.. the Apple keyboard I have does the same,
> though it doesn't define any battery strength feature report in the
> descriptor, and I think the original Apple mouse I had was the same.
>
> (I'm not sure what the 'Vendor Defined' byte in the id#2 input report
> consists of, but it doesn't seem to be battery related.)
>
> I've looked at the FreeBSD bthidd(8) but can't see any particular handling
> for this kind of behaviour, if anybody uses Apple hardware on FreeBSD can
> they say what, if anything, happens?
>
> thanks,
> iain

I am using Apple Bluetooth keyboard with FreeBSD (or I have been few
weeks ago -- I am running around with my laptop and don't know yet what
did USB cleanup do to it). Unfortunately (or fortunately ;), it just
works.

If you'd like me to produce some output or run some checks, I will be
happy to do so.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko