GPRS fails with User PPP

Milan Obuch bluetooth at dino.sk
Thu Sep 1 12:15:03 GMT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 13:47, Loren M. Lang wrote:
> I have been trying for a few days to use my Nokia 6230 phone to browse
> the web and go online with.  My phone supports the DUN profile and I
> have successfully been online using both Windows and Linux.  It seems to
> act like a regular modem, only it need one special initialization string
> with specifies the GPRS access point, then you just dial *99***1# and
> use the username and password for your wireless plan.  I can't seem to
> get User PPP on Freebsd to connect.  I've tried using both rfcomm_pppd
> and rfcomm_sppd + ppp by hand.  My phone just says I need to subscribe
> to GPRS like it doesn't reconize the access point or username.  Though I
> have make rfcomm_sppd + Kernel PPP successfully connect, but kernel ppp
> doesn't seem to support grabbing the dns info, so I'm a little limited
> on what I can do.  Any thing I might be missing?

Could you tell us about your setup? While I would like to use bluetooth too,
it just did not matter yet, but I am successfully using 6230 via USB cable. I
think bluetooth will be similar, just another device name in config... The
most important thing is in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf - I added there

gprs-internet:
 set device /dev/ucom0
 set speed 115200
 set phone
 set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK
AT+CGDCONT=1,\\\"IP\\\",\\\"internet\\\" OK ATD*99***1# TIMEOUT 84 CONNECT"
 set login
 set logout "ABORT BUSY ABORT ERROR TIMEOUT 30 \"\" +++ATH OK-ATH-OK"
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
 set timeout 0

and it just works. I use (with responses from computer)

tablet# kldload umodem
tablet# ppp
Working in interactive mode
Using interface: tun0
ppp ON tablet> call gprs-internet
ppp ON tablet> Warning: Sending empty PAP authname!
Ppp ON tablet>
PPp ON tablet>
PPP ON tablet>

and I am able to go through GPRS where I want...
Just a note I am using T-Mobile here - maybe you should substitute internet
with another name. Second note - line begining with 'set dial' is wrapped, it
continues up to 'CONNECT"', mailer limits...

I am planning to put this little bit of knowledge somewhere on the web, but
ENOTIME yet :(

Milan