[RFC] rc.d integration for the bluetooth subsystem

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Nov 1 14:46:01 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 01, 2005 at 01:51:02PM -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> All,
>
> please find the first draft of bluetooth rc.d scripts located at
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~emax/bluetooth-rc.diff.txt
>
> this patch adds
>
> 1) /etc/rc.d/bluetooth script that will be used to start and stop
> bluetooth devices. it will be called by devd(8) in response to device
> arrival and departure events. the script also supports _optional_ per
> device configuration. per device configuration is stored in
> /etc/rc.conf.d/bluetooth.$dev file, where $dev is the driver name of the
> device, i.e. ubt0, sio4, btccc1
>
> 2) /etc/rc.conf.d/bluetooth.device.sample script. this is just an
> example. it should be copied to /etc/rc.conf.d/bluetooth.$dev and then
> defaults can be adjusted. once again if there is no
> /etc/rc.conf.d/bluetooth.$dev script then reasonable defaults will be used.
>
> 3) required changes to /etc/Makefile, /etc/mtree/BSD.root.dist, etc. to
> hook up new scripts to the build.
>
> i'd appreciate any feedback you might have.
>
> this work is inspired by the patches from Panagiotis Astithas.

This looks like a powerful framework, I may need to find some bluetooth
devices to play with if you're going to make it relatively easy to
configure them. :) I'm a bit dubious about the bluetooth.device.sample
idea.  What if you used an /etc/defaults/bluetooth.device that you
pulled in to set the defaults instead?  It could contain the current
example code, but set all the variables do define the defaults.  I think
that would be more in keeping with current practice.  Adding rc.conf.d
to mtree is probably a good idea regardless though.

-- Brooks