Bluetooth mouse

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Thu Nov 18 11:48:33 PST 2004

[...]

>>>Frankly speaking I afraid case when with syscons pointing to vkbd DDB
>>>will be called, and what happens ?
>>
>>when people learn to read man pages? :) that is what they are for! :)
>>vkbd(4) is just a way to feed key events into the kernel. key events
>>have to be obtained somehow. in case of bluetooth all key codes passed
>>through the rest of the stack. obviously bluetooth stack does not work
>>when you are at ddb prompt.
>
> I do read man-page before.
> Actually, I don't want bt kbd work under dbb, But I don't want to loose
> at keyboard for DDB when I use bt keyboard for other (not DDB) input.
> This was my point.

the problem is that you can only have one keyboard active at a time.
vkbd(4) is *NOT* trying to solve this problem. at least not in its
current form. it is *NOT* a keyboard mux. it is a *kludge* to work
around bigger problem.

> As I understand valid (and only) usage of vkbd is
> 1. start user-land software feeding vkbd with events (probably from
> different sources atkbd, ukbd, btkbd)
> 2. change syscons input to vkbd
>
> in this case any enter to DDB will stop keyboard processing at all.
> my idea was just have hook (probably ng) to be able shortcut vkbd and
> atkbd without user-land software.

will you please stop with atkbd, ukbd, ddb etc. wireless keyboards *CAN*
and *WILL* come and go. it is their nature. so it is up to the userspace
daemon to detect when wireless keyboard comes online/offline and switch
from/to wired keyboard accordingly. that is what i tried to do in
bthidd(8). if your system has panic'ed or you hit ctrl-alt-esc thats too
bad for you. you just have lost your keyboard.

>>>Another option is to use special binding for DDB keyboard, but I did not
>>>like it.
>>
>>i do not understand why this keeps poping up :( if it is required to
>>support wireless keyboards under ddb then support must be impemented on
>>lower lever, i.e. in bios.
>
> No, as I said before I just want be able to enter DDB with at keyboard
> when I have use bt keyboard.

you *CANNOT* have two or more keyboards active at the same time. period.
at least not now. it has been a problem for a while. you have to live
with this. vkbd(4) is *NOT* going to help you. at least not in its
current form. now it *CAN* be changed to implement many-to-one mux.
hell, you can even make it many-to-many mux if you want. the only
problem is that syscons will accept input from one keyboard at a time.
if you fix syscons, then you do not need vkbd at all.

>  I do not try to flame at all, just supply ideas.

i understand, i just think that vkbd is the wrong place to fix it, thats it.

max