Bluetooth mouse

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at savvis.net
Thu Nov 18 09:42:27 PST 2004

Vladimir Grebenschikov wrote:
> В ср, 17/11/2004 в 19:47 +0100, Mike Crosland пишет:
>
>>My current setup allows me to use my Logitech di Novo keyboard/mouse on my
>>dual-boot machine. FreeBSD just sees it as being a usb hub. However I did
>>have to do some patching and a kernel rebuild to do it. Also FreeBSD
>>doesn't recognise the bt hub, which means if you want to link to other bt
>>devices you need to have a seperate dongle.
>>
>>  What would be decidedly cool was if the usb bt chip AND extra dongle(s)
>>ie multiple devices could be recognised, in much the same way that the
>>system can handle several network cards.
>
> Ok, please advise,
>
> As I understand BT mouses often shipped with BT USB dongle,
> But is it safe to buy mouse with that type ? Is protocol between this
> dongle and BT mouse is BTHID - complaint ?

what Mike has is a bluetooth receiver that implements 'hid proxy'
feature. basically the bluetooth receiver implements bluetooth hid
protocol and pretends to be hub with usb keyboard and mouse attached. in
this case *no* bluetooth support is required from os. again, from os
point of view it looks like regular usb keyboard and mouse.

that also mean that it is *not possible* to use bluetooth receiver to
talk to other devices. that is unless you turn 'hid proxy' feature off,
but in this case os *must* implement bluetooth hid protocol.

> I simple do not want to get mouse that will not work without that
> dongle.

if it is a bluetooth mouse and it has been certified (which is usually
the case) then in *must* work with any certified bluetooth dongle.

max