freebsd snapshots for arm architectures

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue May 11 18:45:45 UTC 2021

On 2021-May-11, at 05:52, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:

> There is no mention of why:
>
> 1. there is nothing for arm or arm64.aarch64 in
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/14.0
>
> 2. there is only one flavour (arm64.aarch64) in
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/13.0/
>
> but yet:
>
> 3. all the flavours (armv6 armv7 and aarch64 with rpi-b rpi2b etc presumably these all have u-boot in their msdos partition) are present on
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/12.2/
>
> and
>
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/snapshots/ISO-IMAGES/11.4/
>
> why is this?

This way of handling things for snapshot build attempts
is not specific to aarch64 nor is it new. To my knowledge,
the logs from the snapshot build attempts are not publicly
available (working or failed) and I've never seen
announcements about missing (likely: failed) snapshot
builds, such as when powerpc64 or powerpc builds were
not working over the years.

Also, with all 3-stables+main active at once now (11.4,
12.2, 13.0, 14.0) there may be a resource limitation on
trying to build all the variants for each. The ones
requiring U-Boot or more in addition may contribute more
to the resource use as well.

In general, I'm not aware of any claims that snapshot
builds have any guarantees about availability.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went