Timezone problems on -current

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 02:18:16 UTC 2021

On 2021-May-3, at 18:52, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 02:13:55AM +0100, tech-lists wrote:
>>
>> # ntpd
>> ntpdate_enable="YES"
>> ntpdate_flags="-b"
>> ntpdate_hosts="uk.pool.ntp.org"
>> ntpd_enable="YES"
>> ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"

Warning from the ntpdate man page:

QUOTE
     The ntpdate utility will decline to set the date if an NTP server daemon
     (e.g., ntpd(8)) is running on the same host.
END QUOTE

The above enables both and possibly makes the two
compete with each other depending on how they race
at the start. I'd avoid the mix.

> Up to now I've used only the line
> ntpdate_enable="YES"
> and it's been enough to keep the clock sane. On the last reboot
> it appears ntpdate either didn't run or failed silently. The most
> obvious suspect is a wireless ethernet bridge that might be saying
> it's up before the access point is responsive.
>
> I'll have to do a few test reboots when the machine becomes idle.
> I know ntpdate works sometimes, but perhaps not always.

I'll note that I use ntpd instead of ntpdate in
my /etc/rc.conf files:

ntpd_enable="YES"
ntpd_sync_on_start="YES"
ntpd_user="root"

Such might be an alternative. But I do not know the
detailed tradeoffs for this or other alternatives.

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went