RPi4 Status and xorg behavior

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Mon Mar 8 01:10:38 UTC 2021

In the interests of exploration, I tinkered a bit more with
my Pi4 running the latest -current snapshot. Here are a few
observations:

Screen resolution seems to be about 30 lines by 90 columns,
on a commonplace Dell 1920 by 1080 HDMI display. Mouse and
keyboard work correctly.

Boot countdown timers run five to ten times slower than actual time.

Boot seems to stall until enter is hit at a couple of points, the
first I think was after displaying
EFI console

Wired ethernet worked through a wireless bridge without intervention.
How it connected without being told the password for the access point
remains a puzzle. Maybe it inherited a DHCP session left over from
RaspiOS, which was shut down a few minutes previously.

Xorg and Firefox installed as packages without difficulty, but Xorg
persists in using the very low resolution inherited from the boot
display. Running X -configure reports no devices to configure. That
seems the first thing worth fixing, any hints greatly appreciated!

Firefox spews errors on the controlling terminal but seems to run
and produce a reasonable display, given the low screen resolution.

Altogether I'm very impressed. If this isn't Tier 1 behavior it's
mighty close....

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska