RPI4 USB Boot: Unable to find firmware device

Alex Samorukov samm at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 20 15:56:34 UTC 2021

Hello,

I am booting FreeBSD generic 13.0-BETA3 from the USB. All works, but on
boot i see "Unable to find firmware device" for the bcm2835_cpufreq0. As
result - powerd is not working. I think it somehow expects firmware on
mmc (which is missing) and fails to load it from USB. I did not found
how to point kernel to the correct firmware device/path. Any hints?

Error messages provided below:

root at generic:/usr/ports # dmesg | grep cpufreq
bcm2835_cpufreq0: <CPU Frequency Control> on cpu0
bcm2835_cpufreq0: Unable to find firmware device
device_attach: bcm2835_cpufreq0 attach returned 6
armv8crypto0: CPU lacks AES instructionsbcm2835_cpufreq0: <CPU Frequency