rpi4 network boot

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 7 05:01:44 UTC 2021

> Am 07.02.2021 um 05:00 schrieb Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>:
>

>>> Am 07.02.2021 um 02:41 schrieb Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>:
>>>

>>> /etc/exports:
>>> /var/rpi4/netboot -ro -alldirs -maproot=root
>> why '-ro‘ ??
>
> It's intended to be read only. That's also what the freebsd diskless boot handbook article suggests to do ...
>
> https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/advanced-networking/#network-diskless

I like writing to the system I’ve booted on net0 and have no problem with that :-)

>> Am 05.01.2021 um 01:18 schrieb Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>:
>>>>

>> What’s  your output of :
>>
>> root at matthew:~# sockstat -l4
>>
>> and
>>
>> root at matthew:~#  cat /etc/fstab
>
> I don't follow. For the boot server or the RPI4 host? I don't see how the fstab of the boot server could be relevant. The RPI4 host doesn't have a local filesystem. It's trying to boot from the nfs export …

yes, for the boot server,
….look the link you’ve posted above :

 https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/handbook/advanced-networking/#network-diskless

please read point/ 10. / Under  "32.8.1. Setting Up the PXE Environment“.  !!!

that’s why I asked for ’sockstat -l4` ( or `-l6` if you use  ipv6)

there’s also a note in the link that `-ro` is only an option to save machines from humans, if you trust yourself, you can remove the `-ro` ;-)

> Am 07.02.2021 um 05:00 schrieb Matthew Grooms <mgrooms at shrew.net>:
>

>> and why did you split the folders under ../netboot/..?
>
> To serve the raspberry pi 4 what it wants during boot. A more complete layout under my netboot directory looks like this ...
>
> /var/rpi4/netboot/firmware
> /var/rpi4/netboot/01-dc-a6-32-a8-54-13  -> /var/rpi4/netboot/firmware
> /var/rpi4/netboot/freebsd
> /var/rpi4/netboot/freebsd/boot/msdos -> /var/rpi4/netboot/firmware

well, it would be simpler to
mount a bootable(downloaded) rpi.img with mdconfig to your nfs-export-destination-directory

or

what I do and what is far more useful :
we can `make buildworld buildkernel` directly
into the nfs-mount-directory on the boot-server.

-
 my netboot was based on u-boot-tftp from the sd-card which
worked  very well, and yes: with the right setup ‚loader.efi‘ is detected automatically
without copying it to the msdos-partition IIRC.

 I didn’t try the eeprom-pxe yet but I assume(from what I’ve read so far) your problem
is currently the missing `fstab-mount` .

Best Regards
Klaus