onboard wireless on rpi4

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sat Sep 19 22:04:42 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-09-19 at 19:46 +0100, tech-lists wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 19, 2020 at 04:22:34PM +0000, Robert Crowston wrote:
>
> > Do you have a serial cable to get the console output? It would be handy
> > to have the boot output.
>
> alas, not a suitable one. Seems I need a serial (or usb masquerading as
> serial) to tty cable for serial console output, from three GPIO pins on
> the pi.
>
> I hoped it was possible to get the output to ethernet port on the rpi but
> I don't know how. Think I need tty to serial/usb cable, unless you
> know of a different method? Somehow make the ethernet port output console
> output? The one I already have is an FTDI usb <> rj45 console cable suitable
> for eg cisco equipment.
>
> anyway, should be getting said (usb/serial<>tty) cable in a few days though,
> hopefully.

Your cisco cable is a standard usb-serial adapter the same as any
other, it just has an rj45 plug because cisco made a rather insane
decision many years ago to use that type of jack for a serial console
connection.  But, the cisco cable is rs-232 (inverted high voltage
signaling), whereas the console pins on the rpi are uart-level (3.3v
non-inverted).

-- Ian