FreeBSD under VMware ESXi ARM Fling

Robert Crowston crowston at protonmail.com
Tue Oct 20 18:40:48 UTC 2020

> According to the ESXi devs, there is no SIO controller currently, and I believe this is required for the virtual serial ports to work
> https://flings.vmware.com/esxi-arm-edition/bugs/1104

I do think this a requirement. Indeed, a UART is detected in your dmesg:

uart0: <16550 or compatible> mem 0x3fff03f8-0x3fff03ff irq 5 on ofwbus0
uart0: console (230400,n,8,1)

Is it not exposed on the host?

If we cannot debug, a verbose boot would at least add some colour. Could you add boot_verbose="YES" to /etc/loader.conf?

I took a look at the instructions for getting this up and running on my own Pi. It is certainly a lot of instructions. It is a shame they do not just provide a .img I could flash to an sdcard.

    -- RHC.