Pinebook Pro, any progress as of yet ?

Søren Schmidt soren.schmidt at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 18:53:46 UTC 2020

On 1 Jan 2020, at 15.24, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:

>>> I know have something that can be booted correctly and with usb.
>>> U-Boot is the same but I've switched the uart baudrate to 115200 as
>>> it's way too noisy at 1.5Mbps for me

I found a way to make it work reliably, the wires from the USB<>serial converter needs to be short (se pic) then it works without issues at 1.5Mbaud
If I use the 1meter long cable from my usual adapter it fails just as you noticed.

> The boot order is fixed and is SPI->eMMC->SD
> So if a bootloader exists on the eMMC it will boot from it.
> The u-boot installed will try to boot from the sdcard using u-boot
> distro boot mechanism but it will not work for us as EFI is broken on
> it. (It might work if you use kernel.bin and compile it with
> LINUX_BOOT_ABI).

I got it to boot by having a fat32 partition with just the kernel and a /extlinux/extlinux.conf file on it, then it boots just fine.
It see the eMMC and the SD-card so it should be able to get to a shell at least, need to get my build script finished.

I’ll check your patches from GitHub and get it integrated so the ball can start rolling :)

Thanks for getting us this far!!

-Søren