nVidia Jetson Re: Points to ponder Re: Showstoppers for RPI3

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 29 20:19:59 UTC 2020

> Am 29.02.2020 um 18:30 schrieb Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology>:
>

> Feb 29, 2020 5:34:43 PM Klaus Küchemann :
>
>>> Am 29.02.2020 um 11:32 schrieb Greg V :
>>> Feb 29, 2020 7:58:39 AM Klaus Küchemann via freebsd-arm :
>>> https://github.com/strejda/freebsd/commits/master
>>>
>>> I think a few people use Jetson TX1/Nano as their arm64 dev boxes. I've booted a Nintendo Switch, which has the same SoC:
>>>
>>> https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=4301
>>>
>>> but it didn't have any communication with the outside world (something needed to be done to enable host mode on the USB-C port to get USB devices working?)
>>>
>>> Here's Jetson Nano: https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi?do=view&id=5197
>>
>> Hi Greg,
>>
>> how cool is that ,
>> I didn’t know that mikael@ worked on openjdk-port on a Nintendo Switch ;-)
>
> I guess this is a joke :) He has a Jetson board I think. Again, the Switch did not allow me to do *any* I/O other than the serial console and SD card. Heck, my UART "adapter" (wires soldered to spare joycon rail) is so janky that the characters were sometimes corrupted :D

Yeah, joke:-) but as long as there`s access to it he could do it…
java was originally intended to run on a washing machine..
Character corruption mostly belongs to baudrates with me…
Best results I got with picocom while testing unhacked  u-boot-versions...

>> From my first overview the strejda - port isn’t merged in src-head?
>
> Yeah, from what I remember mmel@ saying, this is mostly because the boot process on the Jetson was a hack and he didn't want to commit support for a device that can't boot normally.
>
> But in theory it should be possible to build alternative firmware.. On the Switch, you inject coreboot with an edk2/u-boot/whatever payload via the USB bug. On the Jetson, you could probably flash coreboot on the usual flash chip and it would boot normally maybe I guess??..

Thanks for the very interesting details! ….

>> Should we use these informations in Wiki respectively are
>> you(&Mikael) interested in this?
>
> I'm not really interested in nvidia hardware, no.
>
>> I don`t have a Jetson available but thinking of it…
>
> My advice would be don't support that green company.

Hmm, related to what you wrote it seems to be a must have to buy a Jetson   :-)

Regards
Klaus