Points to ponder Re: Showstoppers for RPI3

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 28 14:30:31 UTC 2020

> Am 28.02.2020 um 12:03 schrieb Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology>:
> It's funny to hear massive cost estimates for something that's been hobbyist/volunteer work a lot of the time :)
Hi Greg, ol`hobbyist , (.. just kidding ),

I am very happy to hear that things and approaches are moving in the right direction.
good description you give here, thanks.
> Greg V
> The most hardcore kind of new platform is when there's a new ISA like RISC-V..

I have an HFunleashed available, but didn’t find the time to work more on it,
A bit tricky to format the uSD-card...
 afaik a loader is needed. See you in the Wiki when time comes…
> Greg V
> Nobody has paid for this kind of support for e.g. Rockchip on FreeBSD.

impertinence that nobody pays  for it ;-)

> Greg V
> Pretty much nobody wants to write drivers for obscure interrupt controllers and stuff…...
> Speaking of which, I just got a Pi4 in the mail. I'll try it out soon. Might look into porting NetBSD's Ethernet driver or something.
Yep, there is much more support for brcm-hw available
In e.g. OpenBSD than most people know, some NEtBSD-drivers come from OpenBSD and vice versa…
And there’s u-boot.
But as you described very nice:
It all goes into the right direction here:
More open mind to look around what’s already available and could be adopted or extended
Instead of reinventing the wheel.

> Greg V  ...(or run with crappy unaccelerated graphics via EFI framebuffer or a display-only driver). I think that's good enough for a non-mainstream OS :) …, I just got a Pi4 in the mail………….
Non mainstream OS ? …. impertinence  :-) lol (… just kidding)
You will be amazed when you plug your rpi4 to HDMI: it works…
While you will ask yourself where to plug your keyboard/mouse ..
 but no problem for hobbyists : just take your soldering iron an plug a PS/2 Auxiliary Port ;-). Ha Ha

Best Regards
Klaus