Showstoppers for RPI3

Klaus Küchemann maciphone2 at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:52:23 UTC 2020

> Am 27.02.2020 um 10:56 schrieb Stefan Parvu <sparvu at kronometrix.org>:
>
> I think FreeBSD should support and have Tier 1 for ARM64 supporting:
>
> * a consumer level SBC like RBPI enough well supported (SMP, PowerMgmt, Wifi, BLE)
>    this would be good for FreeBSD adoption, IoT projects, university, students. The board
>    is not an industrial board but for 30EUR, it does work for different use cases very well.
>
> * industrial SBC (like ? Rock64 ?, else ?) this would be useful for SME and other companies
>    to build things around FreeBSD for more serious projects.
>
> ARM is moving fast and should we. FreeBSD must list ARM (aarch64) as Tier 1 supported platform.
>
> Talking about NetBSD: can anyone here give a list of what features NetBSD supports and
> we dont ? (RBPI 3B/4) I will ask also on their list a bit later.
>

> Stefan Parvu
> sparvu at kronometrix.org

Hi Stefan,
we’ll try to give more detail information on all this stuff in the Wiki the next days,
But for now in short:
FreeBSD supports Rockchip-boards , the only problem is that „nobody“ knows it ;-)
I asked manu@ for a list of gadgets I do not own myself..
In fact there’s code from NetBSD in FreeBSD, from FreeBSD in NetBSD , from OpenBSD in FreeBSD and so on..
we just have to took a closer look into what’s next to work on…
For Tier1: Tier1 means that nearly EVERYTHING has to be continuously supported,
but not every feature is yet  implemented in aarch64(e.g. dtrace userland support),
So Tier1 has nothing to do with e.g. the RPI or other boards, it has to do with supporting features ,
But from that point of view FreeBSD is not so far away from Tier1/aarch64..
e.g there’s openjdk11/12 . A lot of features are available…
So in this discussion the only problem is the RPI(because it’s publicly better advertised than other gadgets),
Good advertising but bad (firmware-)-vendor support..
But why not to support the RPI(4) as far as possible, if other BSDs can do that…

Regards
Klaus