Showstoppers for RPI3

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Wed Feb 26 20:53:04 UTC 2020

On Feb 26, 2020, at 11:11 AM, Klaus Küchemann via freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:

>> Am 26.02.2020 um 16:33 schrieb Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org>:
>>
>> On Wed, 2020-02-26 at 06:32 +0100, Klaus Küchemann via freebsd-arm
>> wrote:
>>> But that´s the absolute joke of the century :-) that these issues
>>> last so long here on the mailing list
>>
>> The current freebsd-arm devs keep pointing out that nobody is
>> especially interested in maintaining or working on rpi* stuff at all.
>> Why in the world would you be surprised that nobody is working on it?
>>
>> If you want to run freebsd on arm hardware, try using hardware that
>> people are actually working to support.  If you must use crappy rpi
>> hardware, either run linux on it, or consider paying someone to do the
>> freebsd support you need.  Complaining that nobody will work for free
>> on hardware they hate working on is just... complaining.  Pointlessly.
>>
>> -- Ian
>>

> Ian and Kyle,
> I am very sorry that I was misunderstood.
> My absolute respect to you, I always follow your work on drivers etc. on phab ,
> I am not blind and can see, that you have much much work on other things(like me)..
> I am the" RPI-hater“  no. 1 :-), have told that 100 times in fbsd-forums etc
> from the 1st day on … but I am willing to work on it because it is so much
> requested…
> I am currently working on another gadget, will post that in the Wiki the next days…
> very good results but when it comes to brcm hw ….. ;-) …
> But I don’t want that fbsd is so much behind e.g. netbsd in supporting gadgets…
> Netbsd has meanwhile reached the Ethernet-support for RPI4(ACPI-based)…
> Wifi is supported there since months… and it shouldn’t be so impossible to e.g. adopt
> Those solutions to fbsd. ( of course only when people want to work on it,
> )..  but Ed Maste stated a clear aarch64->Tier1-roadmap and it looks funny
> When we fail in supporting devices while others do… and for netbsd afaik that are
> even fewer people working on it than fbsd ( just my few cents) .

Hmm...  A long time ago I used to run NetBSD/pmax and NetBSD/alpha as the main OS on the DECstation hardware in our lab.  I had no idea their support on Raspberry Pi was apparently so good.  I might give it a spin instead, as the situation with my FreeBSD/arm64 setup is a bit flaky at the moment (and I'm running 12-STABLE).

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,

Paul.