Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project

Jedi Tek'Unum jedi at jeditekunum.com
Thu Mar 21 18:43:04 UTC 2019

On Mar 20, 2019, at 9:56 AM, Ian Lepore <ian at freebsd.org> wrote:

> The default pin assignments in the dts are completely controlled by
> linux, and I think effectively by the actual board vendors who create
> the dts and submit it to linux.  We (freebsd) are just a consumer of
> the dts info, we have to work with whatever they shove down our
> throats, and continually re-adapt ourselves whenever they change their
> minds and make arbitrary incompatible changes from one release to the
> next (which they definitely do).

The problem is “linux” - which one?!

As far as I’ve been able to figure out, these boards have not been propagated into mainline linux. So if you are saying FBSD draws from mainline linux then you might not be getting the good stuff.

There is friendlyarm’s distribution /boot/sun50i-h5-nanopi-neo2.dtb that decompiled doesn’t look remotely like anything I’ve seen elsewhere. There is https://linux-sunxi.org/Main_Page <https://linux-sunxi.org/Main_Page>. There is armbian - some sun50i-h5-i2c*.dts overlays here: https://github.com/armbian/sunxi-DT-overlays/tree/master/sun50i-h5 <https://github.com/armbian/sunxi-DT-overlays/tree/master/sun50i-h5>. Given the moving target of what FDT is, who knows whether these are remotely useful.

Bottom line is we non-experts have next to zero chance getting these boards working for us with FBSD.