Options for FBSD support with LCD device - new project

Jedi Tek'Unum jedi at jeditekunum.com
Mon Mar 18 18:59:27 UTC 2019

I’ve been lurking here for some time. Long time (commercial) unix expert. Not much FBSD.

I’m running Linux right now on NanoPi NEO (Allwinner H3) and NEO 2 (Allwinner H5). Not because I love Linux (I don’t) but because it works out of the box including I2C. I’d really like to use FBSD on them. I hope that they will reach the same maturity as BB soon.

Perhaps I’m wrong but my impression following this list and searching around is that I2C and SPI are not “out of the box” with FBSD on these platforms.

I’m not all that familiar with FDT. I’d like to learn how to master it. If I understood it better I could probably bring anything I needed to life. BUT, that is back burner to actually completing the projects I’m trying to complete (where I just need I2C access from user land). I really need those things to just work out of the box for now - or have clear instructions on how to enable.

In short I can’t use FBSD yet because it doesn’t appear ready for these kinds of apps on these devices. I greatly appreciate all the effort that has and is going on to get there. If I had the knowledge I’d love to help, but I don’t currently.

Perhaps I’ve just not searched and read enough to find the jewel document that explains all the FDT magic in sufficient detail. By that I mean *current* FDT magic (which is another confusing aspect as things seem to be in flux).

Any advice on these matters greatly appreciated.