Zybo Z7 board running FreeBSD success

Milan Obuch freebsd-arm at dino.sk
Mon Jul 29 11:55:58 UTC 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 20:35:29 +0900
Denis Polygalov <dpolyg at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Currently, nothing else seen. I plan to investigate FPGA
> > possibilities, too, but that's basically FreeBSD unrelated.
> >

> the main yummy point of Zynq SoC boards is the FPGA.

I agree. And its integration of PS and PL...

> I have some experience of working with SDAccel/Vivado and
> AFAIK there is no way to generate bitstream files on any
> platform except supported by Xilinx (i.e. Windows/Linux).

Well, nothing could be done here... Xilinx decided the way... maybe the
software could run under linux emulation or in bhyve VM, but that's not
an issue for me. This is limitation for hardware design stage, so I
have not big trouble with it. It would be nice to be able to use my
preferred OS even for that, but that's just a wish now.

> At the same time I've seen products shipped with bunch of
> pre-generated bit files and a host software that program
> FPGA completely 'on the fly' with these files building
> various DSP pipelines according to user-defined plain text
> configuration file. Do you aim for something similar?

Well, I am not that far yet. I am just starting to learn about
possibilities in this area with no target set yet. I am starting my
exploration with The Zynq Book. In any case, every additional link for
design will be appreciated.

Regards,
Milan