FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE and 11.2-RELEASE images fail to boot on BeagleBone Black

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Tue Jul 16 00:38:47 UTC 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 08:29:06PM -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> Essentially one may checkout the sources and do a clean build only to
> see the kernel panic on ppc64 hardware.

I don't understand.  What hardware?

We are doing a lot of work on Power8 and Power9 hardware from various
manufacturers, and both 12 and -CURRENT behave well, even under stress.

(I have powered down my Power5 machine; I know of two cases where I
cannot move to 12.X, and since I have Power9 in-house, I probably will
not pursue it.)

> Strangely I have [a RISC-V] instance that boots neatly inside a qemu
> vm and that even includes a ZFS zpool.

If you've built ports on it, you may be the first.  You are definitely
at the bleeding edge in this case.  I know of no user documentation for
FreeBSD/RISC-V.

mcl