FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE and 11.2-RELEASE images fail to boot on BeagleBone Black

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Sat Jul 13 17:02:07 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-07-14 at 01:01 +0900, Denis Polygalov wrote:
> Hi Sergey,
>
> I tried this on 11.2-RELEASE:
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/mmcsd1s2
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd1s2 []...
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/mmcsd1s2...
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/mmcsd1s2 failed with error 19.
>
> mountroot>
>
> unfortunately even 12.0-RELEASE doesn't work:
>
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs [rw]...
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/ufs/rootfs...
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs failed with error 19.
>
> Loader variables:
>    vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ufs/rootfs
>    vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw
>
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>    <fstype>:<device> [options]
>        Mount <device> using filesystem <fstype>
>        and with the specified (optional) option list.
>
>      eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
>          zfs:zroot/ROOT/default
>          cd9660:/dev/cd0 ro
>            (which is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd0 /)
>
>    ?               List valid disk boot devices
>    .               Yield 1 second (for background tasks)
>    <empty line>    Abort manual input
>
> > On 14/07/2019 12:24 am, Sergey Manucharian wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Denis Polygalov's message from Sat 13-Jul-19 23:50:
> > > It looks that it tries to mount the eMMC partition mmcsd0s2
> instead
> > > of
> > > the actual one from the SD card mmcsd1s2.
> > >
> > > As far as I remember I wasn't able to boot 11.x when it was the
> > > main
> > > line, and switched to the unreleased (that time) 12 right away.
> > >
> > > However, I believe, it can boot if the image is copied to eMMC,
> or
> > > at
> > > least, the second partition, although it's not a trivial thing to
> > > do.
> > >
> > > Another way is to modify the image itself to mount mmcsd1s2 as
> > > root.
> > >
> > > -S.

> > "
> mountroot> ?
>
> List of GEOM managed disk devices:
>    diskid/DISK-5C3DD42Es2 diskid/DISK-5C3DD42Es1 ext2fs/Angstrom
> msdosfs/BEAGLEBONE diskid/DISK-5C3DD42E mmcsd0s2 mmcsd0s1
> mmcsd0boot1
> mmcsd0boot0 mmcsd0
>
> mountroot> ufs:/dev/mmcsd1s2
> Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/mmcsd1s2 []...
> mountroot: waiting for device /dev/mmcsd1s2...
> Mounting from ufs:/dev/mmcsd1s2 failed with error 19.
>
> mountroot>
>
> Regards,
> Denis.

The list of devices only shows the emmc partitions, which are all dos
or linux.  The freebsd partition should be mmcsd1s2a, but mmcsd1 isn't
even in the list of devices known to geom, so typing it in by hand
isn't going to help.  I assume if you scrolled back in the boot
messages there wouldn't be an entry showing that mmcsd1 attached.

I'm not surprised that 11.x-RELEASE images don't work, I doubt any arm
developers tested them.  We barely have enough time/resources to
support -current and (current-1), so (current-2) doesn't get much love.
I think beaglebone is still broken even on -current because of the most
recent import of the upstream dts files.  To do the recent work on the
TI pwm driver I had to revert the whole sys/gnu/dts directory back to
last December to build a bootable beaglebone kernel. (*)

I would think the best images to try for most boards would be the most
recent weekly snapshots for -current and for 12-stable.  But I know
beaglebone -current is broken right now, and apparently has been for
months.

(*) I did spend a while trying to figure out why beaglebone wouldn't
boot with the latest dts files, but I had to give up and focus on the
driver work I started out to do.

-- Ian