raspberry pi 4

Jedi Tek'Unum jedi at jeditekunum.com
Wed Jul 10 17:58:52 UTC 2019

As a relative noob to SBCs running FreeBSD…

Seems to me that there are well-supported SBCs (although dated) such as Beagle Bone Black.

As a consumer of this stuff, I’d welcome a short list of focused SBCs where I could just pick one of them. Provided that there are at least a couple of categories.

My particular interest is in scaling down to serve in various embedded automation roles. I’m currently using (with Linux as more support for it only very recently appeared for FreeBSD) NanoPi NEO and NanoPi NEO 2. Besides being decent devices they are also classified as LTS. I’m going to be interested in even smaller devices like https://www.crowdsupply.com/groboards/giant-board <https://www.crowdsupply.com/groboards/giant-board>. I’m not hung up on any specific device, and would be more than willing to buy whatever is well supported.

I fully recognize that most people are interested in more powerful devices. So maybe a primary device in each of 2-3 categories would be optimal.

The unfortunate truth is that most of these things come out of the box with Linux support. Another truth is that a lot of the time they are manufacturers minimal attempt. Sometimes things don’t work and rarely do they get updated. So like Linux in general, there are pros and cons. I mention this because I’d rather see a few devices with really good support in FreeBSD rather than many devices with partial/poor support.

Thanks for reading (and thanks to those that are doing all this work to support SBCs with FreeBSD).