RBPI3B+ FreeBSD 12 ZFS

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Fri Feb 22 21:02:02 UTC 2019

On Feb 22, 2019, at 3:40 PM, Stefan Parvu <sparvu at kronometrix.org> wrote:

> Thanks all for comments. I need to dedicate time to play around with ZFS
> and RBPI3.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on, and hope you report back to the list.  I'm currently using an RPI2 with an attached USB hard drive as a local backup endpoint.  It is running Arch Linux ARM with the USB drive formatted using BTRFS in DUP mode.  It would be nice to be able to replace this setup with FreeBSD + ZFS as I'm much more familiar and comfortable with that than I am with Arch Linux and BTRFS.  It all hinges on whether the FreeBSD + ZFS setup can be made reliable.  I ran FreeBSD/i386 + ZFS for years on a 2 GB RAM system and it worked like a champ, so I am at least  hopeful...

Cheers,

Paul.