FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT on BBB: cpswss0: failed to get PHY address from FDT

Emmanuel Vadot manu at bidouilliste.com
Tue Feb 12 15:18:08 UTC 2019

 Hello,

On Mon, 11 Feb 2019 21:54:06 -0200
"Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj at obsigna.com> wrote:

> I loaded the latest snapshot FreeBSD-13.0-CURRENT-arm-armv7-BEAGLEBONE-20190207-r343862 on my BeagleBone Black, and with that one the ethernet NIC does not work anymore. In the startup log I see:
>
> cpswss0: failed to get PHY address from FDT
>
> What can/shall I do?
>
> Best regards
>
> Rolf

 This is due to this commit in the DTS :
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/4d8b032d3c03f4e9788a18bbb51b10e6c9e8a56b

 For a quick fix you can edit the DTS, revert this and recompile it.
 (from a FreeBSD machine exec this from /usr/src :
MACHINE=arm sh sys/tools/fdt/make_dtb.sh `pwd`/sys
sys/gnu/dts/arm/am335x-boneblack.dts . )

 Someone will need to fix this in
our cpsw driver.

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> <manu at freebsd.org>