boot loader serial console speed to 9600

Ian Lepore ian at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 25 15:25:22 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-10-25 at 17:07 +0300, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Under RBPI3B+ FreeBSD 12 ALPHA8, I see the serial console is set to
> 115200. Is this correct ?
> Shouldn't this be set to 9600 ? How can I change the serial console
> speed to 9600 under loader.conf ?
>
> Currently my loader.conf looks like this:
>
> autoboot_delay=0
> hw.usb.template=3
> umodem_load="YES"
> # Multiple console (serial+efi gop) enabled.
> boot_multicons="YES"
> boot_serial="YES"
> # Disable the beastie menu and color
> beastie_disable="YES"
> loader_color="NO"
> mac_portacl_load=“YES"
>
> I tried:
>
> comconsole_speed="9600"
> console=“comconsole"
>
> no go. somehow it does stay set to 115200. Why is that ?
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

The ability to change serial console speed from loader(8) only works
with x86 BIOS calls (and maybe UEFI, not sure). In general, when uboot
is involved, loader will use whatever serial speed was set up by uboot.

Why do you want to set the console to such a slow speed? It actually
pisses me off that the standard is as slow as 115200 in the 21st
century; modern uart chips have no problem running at speeds in the 1-
12mbps range.

-- Ian