12.0 BETA1 - pkg command error

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at obsigna.com
Mon Oct 22 17:11:13 UTC 2018

> Am 22.10.2018 um 12:30 schrieb Hyun Hwang <hyun at caffeinated.codes>:
>
> On Monday, October 22, 2018, 11:25 AM (UTC-0400), "Mike via freebsd-arm" <freebsd-arm at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> I've installed the 12.0 BETA1 on a RPi3.
>>
>> When I try to use the pkg command, I get this error:
>>

>> The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
>> Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]: y
>> Bootstrapping pkg from
>> pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:12:aarch64/latest, please wait...
>> Verifying signature with trusted certificate
>> pkg.freebsd.org.2013102301... done
>> Installing pkg-1.10.5_3...
>> Extracting pkg-1.10.5_3: 100%
>> ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.8" not found, required by "pkg"
>>
>> How can I work around it?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have experienced this too on RPi 2. When I manually compiled pkg out of ports-mgmt/pkg, the error went gone. Probably still some fallout after OpenSSL 1.1.1.
>
> So yeah, try to build one yourself instead of getting the prebuilt binary.
> --
> Hyun Hwang

In addition, note, that this does not only affect pkg. All ports and other 3rdparty software which somehow depend on OpenSSL need to be recompiled.

In order to know which ports/packages are affected, I issued the following command. After some minutes this would spill out a list of packages which must be re-installed:

find /usr/local/bin /usr/local/sbin /usr/local/libexec /usr/local/lib -type f | xargs -n1 file -F ‚ ' | grep ELF | cut -f1 -d' ' | xargs ldd -f '%A %o\n' | grep "libssl.so\|libcrypto.so" | cut -f1 -d' ' | sort -u | xargs -n1 pkg which -p | cut -f6 -d' ' | sort -u

Best regards

Rolf