RPI3 swap experiments

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Fri Jun 29 15:51:18 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 10:28:25PM +1000, Trev wrote:

> Jun 29 20:20:35 rpi3 kernel: pid 66844 (c++), uid 0, was killed: out of
> swap space
>
> At the time of "out of swap" only 157M of the 4G swap was in use. The
> 4GB swap partition is on a 4GB USB2 memory key (da1p1), everything else
> is on the sdcard. There are no excessively long ms/w being recorded.
> There are no USB or other related errors.

That's a little surprising, and disturbing. By my experience your setup
should have run to completion.

Do you see a "too much swap" complaint? I don't know if it's a problem,
but 4 GB of swap triggers one on my RPi3. 3 GB does not. 2 GB is enough
to finish -j4 buildworld.

[snip]

Thanks for writing!

bob prohaska