RPI3 swap experiments, was Re: GPT vs MBR for swap devices

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Wed Jun 27 05:40:35 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 07:09:09PM -0700, Mark Millard wrote:

> On 2018-Jun-26, at 3:28 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> >> Looking back at http://www.zefox.net/~fbsd/rpi3/swaptests/
> >> and information about /dev/da0 rive errors it does not
> >> appear that a combination with:
> >>
> >> A) sufficient swap (> 1.5 GiByte total?) but no use of swap on
> >>   any partition on /dev/da0
> >> and:
> >> B) use of /dev/da0 for /usr/ and /var/
> >> and:
> >> C) Records from the console showing errors (or notes
> >>   indicating lack of such errors).
> >>
> >> exists. So I was remembering incorrectly.
> >>
> >> I'm not claiming such a combination is the best direction for
> >> the next tests, but absent such tests there is no
> >> compare/contrast to know if /dev/da0 would still get errors
> >> despite the system having sufficient swap present on other
> >> drives. Thus, I would not go so far as "is a requirement" on
> >> the evidence available.
> >>

> > I just didn't bother to record successful runs. I'm logging one now.
> >
> >> We do have evidence for the system having insufficient swap
> >> space: this context seems to have the current status "is
> >> sufficient but might not be necessary" for /dev/da0
> >> getting drive errors.
> >>
> > Not sure I understand here. Basically there seem to be three cases:
> > Enough swap not on da0, -j4 buildworld completes.
> > Any swap on da0, -j4 buildworld is killed by OOMA
> > Not enough swap not on da0, -j4 buildworld crashes the machine eventually.
                    ^^^^^^^^^^
OK, here's my error. The third case should have been
"not enough swap on mmcsd0".

> > Are there other combinations I've overlooked? The first two don't seem
> > worth repeating, at least not often.
>
> "buildworld completes with /dev/da0 errors" vs. "buildworld completes
> without /dev/da0 errors" (for: enough swap not on /dev/da0 with no
> swap on /dev/da0 ).
>
> That is a little simplistic, as there can be multiple retries
> before FreeBSD gives up. Normal is no retries needed. Going
> from rare single retries to frequent multiple retries but no
> giving-up to it giving up sometimes is all abnormal as I
> understand. But there are degrees of abnormal.
>
> And, yes, I have had past examples of significant drive reports
> during buildworld that let buildworld appear to complete. (Not
> that I trusted the result or the drive involved after such, at
> least as the drive was powered/connected at the time.)
>
> For "any swap on da0" and "not enough swap not on da0" (with
> no swap on da0) I'd add to your descriptions: "with /dev/da0
> errors" (again simplistic).

The only case where I've seen crashes and /dev/da0 errors is with
insufficient swap on mmcsd0.  I've come to ignore OOMA kills as
too familiar to be interesting.

> This goes along with my suggestion to split the /dev/da0
> error investigation from the investigations of OMMA behavior
> and crashing-the-machine: avoiding any confounding.
>
>From what I've seen, OOMA isn't associated with da0 errors and crashes.
To see the latter, OOMA must be avoided.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska