Allwinner dtb overlays on CURRENT. Also, flashrom SPI!

Emmanuel Vadot manu at bidouilliste.com
Thu Jul 26 15:00:11 UTC 2018

On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 17:01:57 +0300
Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Jul 2018 12:48:24 +0300
> > Greg V <greg at unrelenting.technology> wrote:
> >>  On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 12:40 AM, Emmanuel Vadot
> >>  <manu at bidouilliste.com> wrote:
> >>  > On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 15:14:29 -0500
> >>  > Kyle Evans <kevans at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >>  >  This is wrong bindings. Yes I know that it's working with our
> >> driver
> >>  > for ths but this is wrong.
> >>  >  1) ths module isn't in ahb but apb.
> >>  >  2) We need nvmem framework to get the sensor calibration data,
> >> please
> >>  > see https://reviews.freebsd.org/D16419
> >>
> >>  I guess it's good to have a framework, but the existing driver
> >>  communicates with aw_sid directly (aw_sid_read_tscalib), and that
> >> seems
> >>  to work fine?
> >
> >  Yeah and this is really gross.
> >  Also the bindings aren't upstreamed and can't be without nvmem-cells.
>
> It's nice that we're going to have clean upstreamable stuff, but it's a
> bit sad that making everything work out of the box on current *now* is
> not a priority.

 Enabling it on current is my priority, which is why I'm working on the
upstream process.

> Especially since overlays are perfect for enabling
> temporary hacks.

 Temporary hacks don't exists.

> >>  >>  > SPI: https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/pull/166
> >>  >
> >>  >  What is the point of the spigen interface ?
> >>  >  If aw_spi is working on H3 (I haven't check but it should), if
> >> you
> >>  > have a good dtb with the spi flash described you can use it
> >> directly.
> >>
> >>  Uhhh I'm surprised you don't know what's the point of spigen?
> >>  The point is raw *userspace* access.
> >
> >  I'm surprised that you thing I don't know what spigen is :)
>
> Hah, sorry, I guess you should've added "for accessing flash" right
> there before the question mark.
>
> >  Having a spigen for things other than flash is good, for flash I
> > don't
> > see the point.
>
> Yeah, it should be exposed out of the box for all kinds of things,
> exactly!
>
> Kernel drivers are good for permanently attached flash, but if you're
> going to, say, connect various motherboards' flash chips to
> dump/recover the firmware or flash coreboot, you don't want kernel
> drivers, you specifically want *flashrom* with its auto detection (and
> probably its support for more chips?)

 Ok I see.

 Your SPI overlays needs to be split (one for SPI0 and one for SPI1).
 Can you open a review on https://reviews.freebsd.org/ for this ?

 Thanks

--
Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com> <manu at freebsd.org>