Booting on RPI2 with uSD and USB

Tom Sparks tom at ycombinator.com
Wed Jan 10 02:17:21 UTC 2018

I use RPI's with FreeBSD around YC pretty extensively and I found a fun one
today when I was trying out the ARMv7 builds for the RPI2.

Typically I have a micro SD for the root disk, then a USB flash for data
and swap. I'd never had a problem before with previous builds but it seems
that there's a new probe-ordering issue somewhere. I put a new snapshot
onto the micro sd, booted, and then the loader tried to boot off of the USB
(which failed). It looks like disk0 is being defined as the USB instead of
the microsd after the loader comes in.

Anyone else seen this?

--
Tom Sparks