ARM board recommendations with true GigE ports

Russell Haley russ.haley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 05:24:55 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 22, 2017 at 6:58 PM, Brett Glass <brett at lariat.net> wrote:
> At 07:23 PM 9/22/2017, Russell Haley wrote:
>
>> We make a 12 port Vehicle Switch for Train Ethernet Networks. Our
>> original prototype testing was done on a Solid-Run Clearfog board (I
>> would have told them about NetGate if I had known there was an
>> up-coming product at the time we were prototyping). The final product
>> is custom hardware.
>

> Which image will run on the Solid-Run Clearfog board? And is there support
> for the extended version of the board that includes several GigE ports?

>From 1000 feet as seen by a novice:

The Armada38X conf file for the kernel is in head and I also see it in 11.1

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/arm/conf/

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/11.1.0/sys/arm/conf/ARMADA38X?view=log

FreeBSD will be agnostic of the number of ports you add if you use
supported hardware. The clearfog supports 1 WAN and 5 switched ports
via a specific switching chip (I forget which one), which means it's
using 2 Gb ports.

https://www.solid-run.com/marvell-armada-family/clearfog/clearfog-specifications/

The Armada 38X processor supports 2 or 3 full gigabit devices (buses?)
depending on the version.

https://www.marvell.com/embedded-processors/armada-38x/

Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Russ