Unexpected Results from nuttcp testing wifi on arm

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Wed Sep 20 15:59:44 UTC 2017

Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> So I am consistently getting very low throughput when testing with
> nuttcp if I use my arm board as the client. If the desktop is the
> client, I am averaging ~8 Mbps. When my arm board is the client, I get
> an average of  just over 1 Mbps. This doesn't seem right to me. Any
> input or confirmation that this is incorrect would be grand. My
> assumption is I have done something wrong. :-/
>
> Russ

I find that some USB adapter have asymmetric speeds, similar to what you
are seeing.  I use iperf3 and get relatively symmetric speeds with a
RTL8188EU, but not with a RTL8188CUS.  With the RTL8188CUS I see about
20Mb/sec send and 1Mb/sec receive.  The RTL8188EU gets about 19Mb/sec
send and about 21Mb/sec receive.  I hope this helps a little, but I
don't know anything more than my observations.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org