FreeBSD 12-CURRENT-ARMv7 and the BeagleBone Black

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at obsigna.com
Mon Oct 16 19:54:57 UTC 2017

Hello,

I saw the first ARMv7 snapshot images (Pandaboard and Hummingboard) arrived on the FreeBSD ftp server.

AFAIK, the BBB is ARMv7 as well. I am going to setup a new system on a BeagleBone Black, and I am wondering whether I want to stay with the 12-CURRENT-ARMv6 like my other setups, or whether it would be a good idea to install a 12-CURRENT-ARMv7.

Questions:
would the ARMv7 flavor of FreeBSD run on a BeagleBone Black?
if yes, will snapshots of 12-CURRENT-ARMv7 be available for the BeagleBone in a foreseeable future?
can I expect any advantages (disadvantages) from the ARMv7 architecture compared to the ARMv6 one?
if there are no plans for BBB ARMv7 snapshots, would it be worth the efforts to build a ARMv7 BBB system from sources?
Please don't take this as a demand, I am only curious.

Many thanks for any advise.

Best regards

Rolf